About the Belly dance Color Widget
Generally speaking....The 85-by-85-pixel icon should fit well with other applications (such as livejournal and my own community dance site), but this does limit your name as displayed to about 14 characters. Colors are determined with a simple red-green-blue mix based on where you leave the sliders when you hit the button. There are 101 levels of each color, meaning you will end up with one of about a million specific colors. More importantly humans are good at processing similar colors, so you don't have to get totally precise. Colors that are visually similar indicate dancers that have similar preferences The eight belly dancer-color archetypes, for your reference:
Private, earthy, experimental - Black
Private, earthy, traditional - Green
Private, glittery, experimental - Red
Private, glittery, traditional - Yellow
Public, earthy, experimental - Blue
Public, earthy, traditional - Cyan
Public, glittery, experimental - Magenta
Public, glittery, traditional - White
So, what's the point? No point really, it's mostly for fun, but.... wait! there's more! This thing could even be a useful widget If you're looking for a particular kind of dancer (say.... a public, earthy, experimental dancer) to build a new troupe, then you can look for dancers displaying the right color (say... something blue-ish). This isn't going to narrow it down very far, but it's supposed to at least get you in the right "family." You'll still have to fight over the precise definitions of "classical egyptian cabaret" - but at least you'll be fighting with other white-ish dancers :) quotes about the widget from the widget's adoring fans! "the widget is psychic!" "Yeah, I have nothing else better to do right now..." "Ok. Odd. But of course, I did it too."
- The widget makes it to Russia.
- Added some choice quotes (see above).
- Cleaned up the update list (see this).
- Fixed the broken parameter-passing situation. Your name should now appear.
- Added "what is your belly dance color?" text to link code, for livejournal-friendliness (thanks caretaker)
- Shortened the link code for the components
- Tightened up the parameter-passing a bit so defaults don't have to get dragged around the whole internet
- Added "do over" to the results page with link back home
- Fixed the missing-scrollbars problem with the css
- This site now the first hit for bellydance color on Google.
- Moved results-explanation text from the index page to the results page, since that made more sense
- Made the icon on the results page link to the front page, as the copyable text suggests
- Dropped text from the auto-generated link-code
- Added more-prominent links to the about page and from the about page back to the main page
- Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict (for the geeks out there).
- Added Google ads (cover the hosting) and one.org banner ad (do some good).
- Expanded text/explanation on the main page and added this about page.
- Expanded results page so you see both the graphic and the code to paste on websites
- First whack at the code. Three-dimension model, using three primary colors.
- Using sexy slider script from Erik Arvidsson.
- Limited private testing. Thanks to my guinneapigs for playing along.
- Clean up and validate styles.
- Sexier beveled icon image.
- Add graphics for props.
- Add graphics for teacher and experience.
- Consolidate and reduce server load.